BREAKING: 30 die as SA bound bus catches fire

Sukulwenkosi Dube-Matutu, Gwanda Correspondent

30 PEOPLE have died after a Brooklyn Express bus was reduced to ashes near West Nicholson area in Gwanda on Thursday night.

Civil Protection Unit director Mr Nathan Nkomo confirmed the number of the deceased with the government releasing $15 000 to their families for funeral expenses.

Speaking at the scene of the accident, Matabeleland South police spokesperson, Chief Inspector Philisani Ndebele said several bodies had been reduced to ashes.

Gwanda Provincial Hospital acting medical superintendent, Dr Rutendo Manyathi said 27 people sustained injuries- with five being referred to Bulawayo after sustaining severe burns.

Dr Manyati said they are working with various stakeholders to collect the bodies.

The driver of the bus who escaped with minor burns, Mr Ndabazinhle Sikhosana said the fire started after a suspected gas tank explosion.

He said some passengers escaped through the door and windows.

Developing story
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s