by Farai Kwesha | @FatsoRai
To say that I’m a TV-fanatic would be the understatement of the century. I live, eat, breathe television, and with good reason – there are just so many good shows on to suit every taste, mood, and atmosphere. (Uses and gratifications and all). I concede to the fact that being glued to your couch is not exactly the most admirable lifestyle choice, but the same goes for a lot of things too – but I digress. Here is my list of the top five shows you can binge on today, and not feel guilty.
|Brooklyn Nine-Nine Cast|
5. Brooklyn Nine-nine – I had my reservations about this one at first because I had only ever encountered Andy Samberg on a couple of Saturday Night Live skits (which weren’t all that funny), and in The lonely Island music videos. Two seasons later, I’m a bonafide Brooklyn Nine-nine loyalist. (I must have watched every episode in the first season at least three times). The show follows a team of detectives at NYPD’s 99th precinct and a newly appointed captain. If you want a good laugh, then this one should definitely be on your must-watch list.
|Viola Davis on promotional cover|
4. How to get away with murder – If you love Scandal (or any Shonda Rhimes production for that matter), then you’ll LOVE How to get away with murder. Oscar nominated actress, Viola Davis stars as Annalise Keating, a criminal defense lawyer and law professor, who selects a group of students from her class to work for her firm. However, as the story progresses, the students and Annalise reluctantly get tied into a murder plot. Enough said.
|Cast of The Originals|
3. The Originals – This spinoff from The Vampire Diaries, is infinitely darker, more dramatic, and mature than its source material, and that makes for great television. Niklaus, Elijah, and Rebekah Mickaelson are the original vampire family, from which the predatory species was sired. Set in the New Orleans French Quarter, The Mikaelsons are confronted with a coven of determined witches, a tyrannical vampire ruler, and cursed werewolves – and that’s just the first season. The show benefits from the talented cast that includes Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Phoebe Tonkin, and Claire Holt.
2. House of Cards – When we last saw Frank Underwood, he had just been sworn in as the (spoiler). House of Cards is one of the most gripping shows you can watch right now, and stars Kevin Spacey which should be all the persuasion you need to watch the show. As a Netflix original, complete seasons are made available for streaming all at once, so right now you can binge on all three seasons.
1. Orphan Black – This show has benefited immensely from the cult-following that it has quickly garnered. Two-time Critics’ Choice Award winner, Tatiana Maslany, is hands down the best actress on television right now. Sarah Manning (Maslany), witnesses a woman jumping in front of a train – but here’s the rub, the woman looks EXACTLY like her. After stealing the woman’s identity, Sarah uncovers a clone conspiracy which sets her on a path to find answers.